Earlier in the week, Justin and I had one of my favorite dinners – easy chicken paella! It is delicious- has the right amount of spice to it. Instead of including shell-fish, this recipe calls for only chicken – to please all the seafood haters of the world (cough, JUSTIN, cough).
I never had Paella – the real kind – until I was in high school – as one of my best friends is Puerto Rican – and let me tell you.. her mother’s paella is out of this world!
This version – is rather different.. but it is also totally healthy! Each serving has under 300 calories and less then 6g of fat!
Serves 6 (We cut it in half, since there is only 2 of us, but here is what you would need for 6!)
- 1 1/4 lb chicken
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 1/4 c. water
- 1 c. low sodium chicken broth
- 1 c. long grain rice
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 14.5 ounces stewed tomatos (reduced sodium)
- 1 sweet red pepper, stripes
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- Rinse chicken; pat dry with paper towels. Cut chicken into bite size strips. Heat EVOO in a skillet and cook the strips 2-3 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to the skillet; cook until tender. Add water, broth, and uncooked rice. Add oregano, paprika, salt, pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 25 minutes.
- Add undrained tomatoes, sweet pepper, and frozen peas to the skillet. Cover and simmer for 10 more minutes or until rice is fully cooked.
- Stir in cooked chicken until heated through.