For some reason.. I have been on a TOMATO KICK for the past couple of weeks. I could probably live off tomatos.
No, I could DEFINITELY NOT live off of just tomatoes.
Obviously I would need to throw in bananas.
Tomatoes and bananas.
Yes, that sounds about right.
But in all seriousness, the tomato fruit (yup.. fruit. fruits have seeds. tomatoes have seeds. tomato = fruit. Debate over) has so many benefits – it is a great addition to your diet for several reasons.
First off, let’s take a gander at all of the nutrition that is packed into this little, red, juicy piece of goodness:
In addition to all of these nutrients and vitamins.. that are sure to do a body good…tomatoes provide
- Lycopene – a hot topic area of research that has been said to have preventative cancer properties, having shown preventative properties in humans against cancers such as colorectal, lung, breast, pancreatic, prostate, and endometrial
- Overall promotion of prostate health
- Antioxidant Protection
- Heart Protection. As a great source of potassium, niacin, vitamin B6, and folate, tomatoes can help to lower your risk of heart disease throw lowering cholesterol.
- Reduction of blood clotting tendencies through tomato juices.
- It is a natural anti-inflammitory
- Helps to maintain bone health through Vitamin K
Oh wait.. I know what you are waiting for.. how about a SLAMMIN’ recipe with tomatoes to enjoy for dinner one night soon?!
Is that what you are looking for? Well, I would be happy to provide you with a meal I have been diggin’ lately! (You will come to learn that I am ALL about stir fry!)
Sun-dried Tomato & Zucchini Stir-Fry
Serves a Justin and a Cait
- Chicken (however much you would use to serve your party.. we used 1 large chicken breast)
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 zucchini, quartered
- Handful. cherry tomatoes, whole (Justin doesn’t like tomatoes that much.. not these anyway.. so I ate all of them 😉 )
- 7 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 c. quinoa
- 1 c. water
Okay – back to the main event.
- Get your veggies chopped like I had previously mentioned:
- After washing chicken, cut into bite size pieces. In a small bowl, combine chicken, 1 tbsp balsamic, 1/2 tsp honey, and 1 tsp pepper.
- Spray a pan with non-stick spray and add chicken. Cook about 2 min each side, until no longer pink inside. Remove chicken from pan and set to side.
- Add remaining tbsp balsamic, 1/2 tbsp honey to pan. Add zucchini and sun-dried tomatoes. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until zucchini softens.
- Add cherry tomatoes to the mix. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Return chicken to pan – cook until all is heated.
Serve over the cooked Quinoa!
Do you like tomatoes? What kinds are your favorites? Are they any produce items that you are truly diggin’ right now??!