Ohhh Monday. How rapidly you have arrived. I feel like you were just here a day or two ago.. and now you’ve reared your annoying-ness right back into my face.. once again.
This weekend – felt like one of those weekends that kind of didn’t exist. I don’t feel like I got an opportunity to recover from last week.. and I am already back up & at em!
Perhaps my energy levels are still waning from Picnic in the Park on Friday. Or I could still be in shock over the brand new Kindle my family got me this weekend.. and perhaps I have yet to regain my energy from the state of shock. Maybe it was all the running around I did on Saturday that has this weekend feeling FAR too short. I was hoping that my day of rest yesterday would have been enough.. but I’d really like to crawl back into bed and just stay there for an undetermined amount of time.
As I elluded to yesterday, I spent a lot of my relaxation time in the KITCHEN. I’ve got a couple recipes coming your way within the next couple of days.. but these babies just couldn’t wait.
I told myself I needed to stop with the muffins.
But its been a while since I’ve gotten down and dirty with my muffin pan – and yesterday, the Muffin Woman was BACK in action.
Blueberry Oat Bran Muffins
Makes 12 LARGE muffins
- 1.5 c. Oat Bran
- .5 c. Whole Wheat Flour
- .5 c. Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar/splenda blend
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 c. unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 c. Vanilla Almond Breeze Almond Milk ( minus 1 tbsp)
- 1 c. blueberries (I used frozen!)
- Preheat Oven to 375*. Place muffin tins in your muffin tray – or grease/spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Take a measuring cup and add the 1 tbsp of lemon juice. Add you almond milk until it fills to the 1 cup line (so you won’t have a full cup of almond milk). Let this sit for 5 minutes. It serves as a substitute for buttermilk!
- Combine all other ingedients (including milk/lemon juice mixture once the 5 minutes has passed) except for the blueberries.
- Stir well.
- Once all other ingredents are blended, add blueberries.
- Scoop batter into muffin tins. They will be very full 🙂
- Bake at the 375* for 20 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean!)
Remove.. cool.. and ENJOY!
And now for these Blueberry Oat Bran Muffins:
(Nutritional Information Calculated by SparkPeople.com – after I entered all ingredients)
The ingredients are listed above – and are very different (and more wholesome) than those found in the DD muffins.
Besides the calorie and fat difference between the muffins – something that glared at me was the sugar content! The DD Reduced Fat and Regular Fat Blueberry Muffin have 42 and 48 grams of sugar respectively.
My muffins have only 6 grams.
True – there is a big difference in the size of the serving. HOWEVER – part of controlling how we eat…. controlling what we eat.. is controlling our PORTION sizes. If you ask me.. those DD muffins are just too big.
You can even have two of my muffins – and still be WAY better off (just looking at nutrition stats).
Homemade anything – is almost always going to be the healthier option.. especially when it comes to baked goods.
Making these muffins – preperation and baking time – took me about 35 minutes. Now – Justin has breakfast every day (and I will probably STILL have my oats.. but these are definitley yummy!)
As a former frequent customer of Dunkin’ Donuts – getting the things on their DDSmart menu on a regular basis – I was taken back when I checked out the ingredients and nutritional value of these smart foods. The occasional splurge is okay – but I am more into eating breakfast (lunch & dinner) in Cait’s Kitchen 🙂